Case Study: Weight Loss
Author: Diane Vich
Key words: Weight loss, Inflammation & Bloating
Lourdes Mogal is a mom of two. She has tried countless diets and her weight will not come off. She has a big vacation coming up and would like to shed some weight before the trip. She is frustrated that diets are not working for her. She also has some digestive issues and bloating with certain foods. She is motivated and ready to start her plan right away, the clock is ticking.
Lourdes does not have time to incorporate exercise yet but really wants to establish a healthier eating plan. She wants to lose 15-20 pounds in the next 2 months. She is highly motivated and ready to start her detox plan.
- Weight gain and inability to lose weight is caused by oxidative stress, inflammation, cortisol levels and insulin resistance in the body, impacting the body’s ability to burn fat lose weight. The treatment plan will provide a diet that will enable to diet to reduce sugar and inflammation build up, promote detox, remove fluid buildup in lymphatic system and promote weight loss.
- Supplementation/Dosage: (2) Nrf2, (2) fat burners twice a day, essential oils and (3) Probiotic.
- Diet: High in low sugar fruits, gluten free, high in green vegetables, beans, organ meats, bison, fish, shrimp, eggs and turkey (rare carbohydrate like cereal, cakes and dessert). No sugar or iodized salt. No inflammatory vegetables or fruits. No processed foods. Sea salt and spices to taste.
Coaching: 2 months of coaching recommended
- Motivation statement: My thinking is peaceful, calm and centered. I am ready to take on the obstacles before me.
A multitude of diseases (200+) are linked to oxidative stress and inflammation. Oxidative stress is an imbalance between antioxidants and Free radicals. Patients with weight gain and inability to lose weight have high levels of free radicals in the body. They cause damage to the body on a daily basis. The body has poor capability of creating antioxidants like glutathione, catalase and SOD. These antioxidants are the only way to fight free radicals, so as they decline illness, disease and decline progressively continues through life. By enabling the body to produce antioxidants and remove toxins, they client will reduce inflammation, bloating and fat build up to promote weight loss.
1 month: Lourdes has started the detox plan. She is enjoying the detox soup and meals. She is motivated to lose weight for her trip. She noticed that she experienced some bloating after a few meals. She reached out for some coaching to relieve her symptoms.
- Coaching Session: Lourdes health goal is to lose weight for her trip. This will improve her ability to feel better about herself and be happy in her own skin. This was desperately important to her because she has been sad and depressed that she has not been able to lose weight. All of these things were important to her because she will be happier, and motivated to enjoy her life. She decided the diet and treatment plan is going to help her achieve her goals. Elimination plan: After her digestive issues, she asked the coach for some digestion relief suggestions. The coach added essential oils for digestion and an elimination plan to determine her food sensitivities. She was able to identify “tomato and black pepper sensitivity.” Her symptoms improved and she realized the importance of keeping these ingredients out of her meals. She was happy that she had the essential oils and tips to help her if new problems arouse. Craving support: She will continue to call in weekly for support and to deal with temptations and cravings. She knows that she has trouble dealing with temptation at parties and asked her coach if she could reach out during these times for a little motivation.
2 month: Lourdes was so motivated to the plan that she did not even use any of her cheat days. She did not want to eat any carbs because she really wanted to reach her goal quickly. She contacted her coach 3 times during the last month to get support during times of temptation and some food sensitivities. She felt confident that she had the tools to deal with her temptations and she kept on the diet even at parties. She lost 20 pounds.
- Coaching Session: Lourdes was happy with her progress. She did realize the support was important and wanted to continue with a Maintenance plan after her vacation. Elimination plan: She is glad she has essential oils and natural remedies that she can keep with her all the time. Through her food trigger journal and coaching she was able to identify some additional foods to avoid. She realized raspberries and mixed fancy green salad caused her symptoms. She plans on signing up for 6 months of coaching to help her incorporate some paleo recipes in her routine, to keep her satisfied and meet her desire for some desserts. She signed up for some shopping, easy workout sessions and cooking lessons. Lourdes really wanted to learn to make healthier desserts and snacks, in order to maintain her weight loss.
6 months: (After 6 months of coaching)
- Coaching Session: Lourdes successfully incorporated all the strategies for the 6 months of her coaching. She felt energized and happy. Elimination plan: She continued her food journal to monitor food sensitivities. She identified two more triggers during her maintenance plan. She identified apples and watermelons were trigger foods. She is glad that she has the tools to identify, treat and deal with her food sensitivities. She was able to participate in yoga and exercise regularly. She truly enjoyed the quick exercise tips because she was able to do them wherever she was to ensure she was active. She loved the shopping session because she truly understood how to read food labels, buy foods that were right for her body and eat for her blood type. The cooking lessons helped her learn the benefits of using a variety of herbs to enhance food flavors and enjoy her healthy eating habits. Lourdes felt excited and ready for new challenges. She maintained her weight loss and successfully incorporated all the strategies she learned for the 6 months.