As I write this on the eve of my 45 birthday and praise my progress in life rather than perfection. I share My Birthday wish: for you to see the blessings in your chaos and find your way to the light with self love.
Robert Frost once said, The best way out is through. And God proved it to me over the past few years of healing from my sexual child abuse. It all began in the middle of my favorite season, Christmas, 2019. I began a journey through forgiveness to travel from the darkness to the light. There were plenty of challenges along the way but the process of healing is never easy.
Over the years there have been many courageous triumphant moments. And many dark and gloomy days filled with doubt, shame, guilt and fear. The crucial thing I needed to foster within was my worthiness of living, loving and having the life of my dreams. The moments of courage brought me great feelings of joy and accomplishment. And in those moments I felt magical and my sense of self worth was uplifted to great heights.
But life is often a rollercoaster taking us into new challenges along the way to growth. I learned that time does heal old wounds through self-love and forgiveness. And the journey brought me back to my favorite Holiday season, finally feeling at peace with my story, who I was and who I became along the way. But first let’s recap some of the triumphs of healing old wounds.
1. Published a novel under an alias to share the abuse I couldn’t speak out loud mixed in the pages of romance and spicy love.
2. Launched a podcast and finished the year with De-stress the Holidays in my Global Healing series to get through the stressful family time and busy season.
3. Share my story of forgiveness as I found my way back to myself.
4. Share my story of self-love to overcome judgement and criticism after sharing my abuse vulnerably.
5. Take a leap of faith and begin EMDR to face the true story and heal at a deeper level.
6. Believe in my dreams of educating nursing students the importance of self love for themselves to care for others.
7. Teaching my students that every symptom has an emotional and physical root. And mindfulness practices will help them support patients at a new level. But they must lead by example and use them for themselves.
8. Becoming a clinical professor at the university (University of Miami). I have always dreamed of getting my PHD education.
9. Advocate and successfully convince my husband of the benefit of a puppy for my PTSD (5 years in the making). And get my boys the puppy they had been hoping for for years.
10. Bringing my puppy home and preparing her to become a therapy dog to support patients at hospitals.
Those are the biggest triumphs which I achieved by finding my way out of darkness, by dancing through it, towards the light. And in the spirit of the holiday season, I share some self-love techniques to get you through challenges in any season.
1. Breathe deep – The 555 breath started my healing journey. And is sure to calm your mind, release stress and shift your perspective.
2. Guided meditations – great for busy minds that can’t slow down or concentrate in quiet meditation.
3. Forgiveness prayer with the power of ho’oponopono (I am sorry, Please forgive me, Thank you, I love you).
4. Dragonfly pose – combined with 555 breath is a great shift of your nervous system to start your day with a clear mind. Or clear your mind for sleep.
5. Self love yoga stretch routine or try my orgazmik stretch secrets.
6. Watching FREE live alternative healing techniques and strategies on insight timer. Where I will go live again with meditations, strategies and support again. After a 1 year sabbatical.
7. Make a playlist with your 5 favorite songs or listen to mine. And sing or dance to it daily. Especially on those tough days it will help you release stress and find your joy.
8. Tree reboot – go outside, lean against a tree, close your eyes and breathe deep. Allow your body to relax as you focus on the power of mother nature supporting your spine. Feel the firmness of the tree, sense the sun on your skin, feel the breeze, smell the rain in the air, and notice how simple it is to reboot when you slow down.
9. Visualize your perfect day every morning. [Live video of a Perfect day Meditation that was live on insight timer before my sabbatical.)
10. Practice gratitude and blessings before bed every night. A great way to end your day is to remember every person, situation, event or pet you are grateful for. And send them a blessing before you drift off to sleep.
11. Mindfully practice self-love daily. Focus on the sensations, enjoy the time with yourself and add self-love with a)music b) an affirmation c) forgiveness through ho’oponopono.
Those are some of the simple self-love strategies I use daily to stay on the path through the darkness out to the light. May they bring you peace and joy in 2023.